[Python-Dev] Use ptyhon -s as default shbang for system python executables/daemons

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon Mar 23 07:10:42 CET 2015

On 21Mar2015 14:29, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>> On Mar 21, 2015, at 7:52 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 19 March 2015 at 07:51, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>>> I’ve long wished that the OS had it’s own virtual environment. A lot of problems
>>> seems to come from trying to cram the things the OS wants with the things that
>>> the user wants into the same namespace.
>>
>> I'm more wanting to go in the other direction and suggest to folks
>> that if they're not *scripting the OS*, then the system Python isn't
>> what they want, and they should be using at least a virtual
>> environment, preferably an entirely separate software collection that
>> they can upgrade on their own timeline, independently of what they
>> system does.
>
>It’s likely easier to get the OS to move it’s own things to a virtual
>environment than it is to convince every single person who uses an OS
>to never install globally.

I agree.

And just as a data point, this cropped up on the Fedora list yesterday:

  I broke Yum (by messing with Python libs)
  http://www.spinics.net/linux/fedora/fedora-users/msg458069.html

TL;DR: OP used pip on his system python. Yum broke. Probably hampered his
attempts to repair, too.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

The mind reigns, but does not govern.   - Paul Valery