[Python-Dev] Buildbot x86 XP-4 3.x doesn't compile anymore: drop it?

David Bolen db3l.net at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 21:14:29 CET 2015

Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> writes:

> Would it be possible to fix this buildbot, or to turn it off?
(...)
> By the way, do we seriously want to support Windows XP? I mean, *who*
> will maintain it (no me sorry!).  I saw recent changes to explicitly
> *drop* support for Windows older than Visa (stop using GetTickCount,
> always call GetTickCount64, for time.monotonic).

Disabling the 3.x branch (or 3.5+ going forward) on the XP buildbot
seems plausible to me, assuming the issue is unlikely to be fixed (or
someone found with time to look into it).

If, as Tim suggests in his response, 3.5+ need not be officially
supported on XP anyway, it may not be worth much effort to address.
At some point (such as switching to VS 2015), we aren't going to be
able to compile newer releases under XP anyway.

I'm assuming you aren't suggesting turning off the XP buildbot
entirely, correct?  As long as any fixes are still getting applied to
2.x or earlier 3.x releases, I do think having a buildbot covering
those branches for XP would be useful, if only to catch possible
issues in back-ported fixes.  There's still an amazing number of XP
systems in service.  While I doubt very many of those running XP also
need the latest 3.x release of Python, I expect there are quite a few
active 2.x users.

-- David