[Python-Dev] PEP 492: async/await in Python; version 4

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Fri May 1 21:03:27 CEST 2015

Yury Selivanov schrieb am 01.05.2015 um 20:52:
> I don't like the idea of combining __next__ and __anext__.
> In this case explicit is better than implicit.  __next__
> returning coroutines is a perfectly normal thing for a
> normal 'for' loop (it wouldn't to anything with them),
> whereas 'async for' will interpret that differently, and
> will try to await those coroutines.

Sure, but the difference is that one would have called __aiter__() first
and the other __iter__(). Normally, either of the two would not exist, so
using the wrong loop on an object will just fail. However, after we passed
that barrier, we already know that the object that was returned is supposed
to obey to the expected protocol, so it doesn't matter whether we call
__next__() or name it __anext__(), except that the second requires us to
duplicate an existing protocol.

This has nothing to do with implicit vs. explicit.

Stefan