[Python-Dev] PEP 492 and types.coroutine

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Sat May 2 23:31:37 CEST 2015

On 05/02, Yury Selivanov wrote:
> On 2015-05-02 2:14 PM, Ethan Furman wrote:
>> On 05/02, Yury Selivanov wrote:
>>> On 2015-05-02 1:04 PM, Ethan Furman wrote:

>> And yet in current asyncio code, random generators can be accepted, and not
>> even the current asyncio.coroutine wrapper can gaurantee that the generator
>> is a coroutine in fact.

> This is a flaw in the current Python that we want to fix.

Your "fix" doesn't fix it.  I can decorate a non-coroutine generator with
type.coroutine and it will still be broken and a bug in my code.

>> For that matter, even the new types.coroutine cannot gaurantee that the
>> returned object is a coroutine and not a generator -- so basically it's just
>> there to tell the compiler, "yeah, I really know what I'm doing, shut up and
>> do what I asked."
>
> Well, why would you use it on some generator that is not
> a generator-based coroutine?

I wouldn't, that would be a bug; but decorating a wrong type of generator is
still a bug, and type.coroutine has not fixed that bug.

It's worse than mandatory typing because it can't even check that what I have
declared is true.

>> So either way, nothing has been added besides a mandatory boiler-plate
>> requirement.
>
> It's not nothing; it's backwards compatibility.  Please read
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0492/#await-expression

I have read it, more than once.  If you lift the (brand-new) requirement that a
generator must be decorated, then type.coroutine becomes optional (no more
useful, just optional).  It is not a current requirement that coroutine
generators be decorated.

--
~Ethan~