[Python-Dev] PEP 492: async/await in Python; version 5

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed May 6 01:05:57 CEST 2015

I wonder if you could look at Tkinter for a very different view of the
world. While there are ways to integrate socket I/O with the Tcl/Tk event
loop, the typical Python app using Tkinter probably moves network I/O (if
it has any) to a separate thread, and ignores the delays of disk-based I/O
(because modern disk I/O is usually faster than the minimal event response
time -- assuming you don't have floppy disks :-).

I'm not entirely sure how you would use coroutines with Tkinter, but I
could imagine that e.g. mouse tracking code such as found in drawing apps
might be written more easily using a loop that uses await (or yield [from])
to get another event rather than as a callback function for the "mouse
move" event.

The mechanics of writing a multiplexer that receives Tkinter events and
uses them to decide which generator/coroutine to wake up might be too much
for your purpose, but it would provide a real-life example of an event loop
that's not built for network I/O.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)