[Python-Dev] Mac popups running make test

Carol Willing willingc at willingconsulting.com
Sun May 10 20:07:44 CEST 2015

On 5/10/15 10:29 AM, Tal Einat wrote:
> On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org
> <mailto:brett at python.org>> wrote:
>

>     On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 10:04 AM Skip Montanaro
>     <skip.montanaro at gmail.com <mailto:skip.montanaro at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         I haven't run the test suite in awhile. I am in the midst of
>         running it on my Mac running Yosemite 10.10.3. Twice now, I've
>         gotten this popup:
>

>>         I assume this is testing some server listening on localhost.
>         Is this a new thing, either with the Python test suite or with
>         Mac OS X? (I'd normally be hidden behind a NAT firewall, but
>         at the moment I am on a miserable public connection in a
>         Peet's Coffee, so it takes on slightly more importance...)
>

>     It's not new.
>

> Indeed, I've run into this as well.
>

>         I've also seen the Crash Reporter pop up many times, but as
>         far as I could tell, in all cases the test suite output told
>         me it was expected. Perhaps tests which listen for network
>         connections should also mention that, at least on Macs?
>

>     Wouldn't hurt. Just requires tracking down which test(s) triggers
>     it (might be more than one and I don't know if answering that
>     popup applies for the rest of the test execution or once per test
>     if you use -j).
>

> If anyone starts working on this, let me know if I can help, e.g.
> trying things on my own Mac.

I believe that the message has to do with OS X's sandboxing
implementation and the setting of the sandbox's entitlement keys. Here's
an Apple doc:
https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/Miscellaneous/Reference/EntitlementKeyReference/Chapters/EnablingAppSandbox.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40011195-CH4-SW9

I'm unaware of a way to work around this other than using Apple's code
signing or adjusting target build settings in XCode :( If anyone knows a
good way to workaround or manually set permission (other than clicking
the Allow button), I would be interested.

Warmly,
Carol
--
*Carol Willing*