[Python-Dev] Unicode literals in Python 2.7

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue May 12 05:59:21 CEST 2015

On 12 May 2015 at 06:38, Glenn Linderman <v+python at g.nevcal.com> wrote:
> On 5/11/2015 1:09 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 10 May 2015 at 23:28, Adam Bartoš <drekin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd love to see it included in 3.5, but I doubt that will happen. For one
> thing, it's only two weeks till beta 1, which is feature freeze. And mainly,
> my package is mostly hacking into existing Python environment. A proper
> implementation would need some changes in Python someone would have to do.
> See for example my proposal http://bugs.python.org/issue17620#msg234439. I'm
> not competent to write a patch myself and I have also no feedback to the
> proposed idea. On the other hand, using the package is good enough for me so
> I didn't further bring attention to the proposal.
>
> Right, and while I'm interested in seeing this improved, I'm not
> especially familiar with the internal details of our terminal
> interaction implementation, and even less so when it comes to the
> Windows terminal. Steve Dower's also had his hands full working on the
> Windows installer changes, and several of our other Windows folks
> aren't C programmers.
>
> PEP 432 (the interpreter startup sequence improvements) will be back
> on the agenda for Python 3.6, so the 3.6 time frame seems more
> plausible at this point.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.
>
> Wow!  Another bug that'll reach a decade in age before being fixed...

Yep, that tends to happen with complex cross-platform bugs & RFEs that
require domain expertise in multiple areas to resolve. It's one of the
areas that operating system vendors are typically best equipped to
handle, but we haven't historically had that kind of major
institutional backing for CPython core development (that *is*
changing, but it's a relatively recent phenomenon).

Cheers,
Nick.