[Python-Dev] [python-committers] How shall we conduct the Python 3.5 beta and rc periods? (Please vote!)

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue May 12 20:21:43 CEST 2015

On May 12, 2015, at 10:38, Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:
> On 05/12/2015 10:23 AM, Ned Deily wrote:
>> One possible issue with Workflow 1 is that there would need to be an additional set of buildbots (for 3.5, in addition to the existing 3.x (AKA "trunk"), 3.4, and 2.7 ones) for the period from beta 1 until at least 3.5.0 is released and, ideally, until 3.4 support ends, which following recent past practice, would be relatively soon after 3.5.0.
> Good point.  Though I could concievably push the 3.5.0 rc repo up to an hg.python.org "server-side clone" and kick off the buildbots from there.

I wasn't worrying about the 3.5.0rc "branch", but, yeah, we could probably improvise ones for that as you suggest. So, buildbots would be: 3.5 branch (->3.5.1 as of beta1), 3.5rc (as needed from rc1 to final), along with the current 3.x (->3.5.0 today, -> 3.6.0, as of beta1), 3.4, and 2.7 buildbots.

I like the idea of experimentally trying the push workflow but, if we are all doing our jobs right, there should be very few changes going in after rc1 so most committers won't need to push anything to the 3.5.0rc repo and, if for some reason they aren't able to use Bitbucket, someone could do it for them.  In other words, while nice, the use of Bitbucket is not a critical feature of Workflow 1.  I think 1 is the best choice with or without the use of Bitbucket.  But we should also recognize that adopting it can make more work for committers fixing bugs over the next few months (between beta1 and final), as we need to consider testing and pushing each fix to default (for 3.6.0), 3.5 (for 3.5.0 until rc1, then for 3.5.1), 3.4 (for 3.4.4), and/or 2.7 (for 2.7.11).  That's the tradeoff for allowing feature work to be committed, integrated, and tested during the beta and rc periods.

>> Where does 3.6.x fit into Workflow 2?
> It doesn't.  Workflows 0 and 2 mean no public development of 3.6 until after 3.5.0 final ships, as per tradition.

Workflow 0 = -1
Workflow 1 = +1
Workflow 2 = -0.5

--