[Python-Dev] PEP 484 wishes

Alex Grönholm alex.gronholm at nextday.fi
Mon May 18 00:07:12 CEST 2015

Looking at PEP 484, I came up with two use cases that I felt were not
catered for:

 1. Specifying that a parameter should be a subclass of another
    (example: Type[dict] would match dict or OrderedDict; plain "Type"
    would equal "type" from builtins)
 2. Specifying that a callable should take at least the specified
    arguments but would not be limited to them: Callable[[str, int,

Case #2 works already (Callable[[str, int], Any] if the unspecified
arguments are optional, but not if they're mandatory. Any thoughts?