[Python-Dev] Accepting PEP 489 (Multi-phase extension module initialization)

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Fri May 22 23:44:04 CEST 2015

Hi all,

After extended discussion over the last several months on import-sig,
the resulting proposal for multi-phase (PEP 451) extension module
initialization has finalized.  The resulting PEP provides a clean,
straight-forward, and backward-compatible way to import extension
modules using ModuleSpecs.

With that in mind and given the improvement it provides, PEP 489 is
now accepted.  I want to thank Petr, Nick, and Stefan for the time,
thought, and effort they put into the proposal (and implementation).
It was a disappointment to me when, at the time, we couldn't find a
good way to apply PEP 451 to builtins and extension modules.  So
thanks for easing my anxiety!

-eric