[Python-Dev] devguide: Updated dev guide to reflect the new workflow we're trying for 3.5.

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sun May 24 02:44:45 CEST 2015

In article <5560B054.307 at udel.edu>, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu>
wrote:
> I somehow did not understand this last part before.  Rather I thought
> the need for pull requests would be highly restricted (and not affect me
> ;-).  3.5 bugfixes (and idlelib patches, unclassified), especially those
> applied to 3.4, should automatically be in the next 3.5 release.  I
> cannot imagine a reason not to so so. Otherwise, we could end up with
> the awful anomaly that a bugfix (or Idle change) could be in 3.4.4 (the
> final maintenance version that comes out after 3.5.0) but not in 3.5.0
> itself.

The need for "pull requests" *is* highly restricted.  Note that the
"pull request" proposal appears in the Release Candidate section and
only applies after 3.5.0rc1 is finalized.  During the Beta phase that
we're entering now, bugfixes should be checked into the new 3.5 branch
and they will be released first in 3.5.0b2 or 3.5.0b3.  After rc1,
bugfixes checked into the 3.5 branch will be released first in 3.5.1
unless they are deemed release critical for 3.5.0 in which case the pull
request would be needed.  The goal is to have zero release critical
fixes after rc1; usually there are very few.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org