[Python-Dev] Unable to build regex module against Python 3.5 32-bit

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon May 25 23:59:34 CEST 2015

On 25 May 2015 at 21:06, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> As the subject says, I've been unable to build the regex module against
> Python 3.5b1 for 32-bit. MingGW says:
>
>     skipping incompatible .../libpython35.a when searching for -lpython35
>
> It builds without a problem against Python 3.5 for 64-bit.
>
> Any ideas? Should I just wait until beta 2?

MinGW is (and always has been) only marginally supported,
unfortunately. I'd rather it didn't break totally for 3.5, but I am
anticipating some difficulties (there have been a lot of
compiler-related changes with 3.5).

Could you raise a bug, including details of precisely how you tried to
build the module (presumably
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/regex/2015.05.10) and assign it to me?
I'll try to take a look and reproduce the issue. With luck, it may be
as simple as the wrong version of libpython35.a being picked up
somewhere.

Just to check the obvious - you *are* using 32-bit Python 3.5b1 and a
32-bit Mingw to build the 32-bit version, and 64-bit Python 3.5b1 and
a 64-bit Mingw to build the 64-bit one? (I.e., two installations of
Python and two of Mingw)

Paul