[Python-Dev] Preserving the definition order of class namespaces.

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Tue May 26 00:22:02 CEST 2015

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 2:40 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 5/25/2015 3:40 PM, Eric Snow wrote:
>> Since Larry already gave an exception,
>
> Conditional on 'general approval of the community'.

Unless I misunderstood him, Larry gave me an unconditional exception
for OrderedDict itself (as long as it is in before beta 2.)  The
condition only applied to making OrderedDict the default class
definition namespace and adding cls.__definition_order__.
Furthermore, the condition related to the semantic changes to Python,
not to concerns about destabilizing Python.

I don't mean to imply that Larry can't retract (or modify) the
exceptions he's given me.  In fact, if there is sufficient risk of
de-stabilizing the release then I'd expect him to do so.  However,
ultimately that's his call as release manager; and I do not believe
there is any greater risk now than what I explained to him in our
discussions leading up to the exceptions I received.

-eric