[Python-Dev] Preserving the definition order of class namespaces.

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed May 27 23:15:39 CEST 2015

On 5/27/2015 4:16 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

> I second that sentiment. But it strikes me that we're doing this
> because our release frequency is completely inadapted. If we had
> feature releases, say, every 6 or 9 months, the problem wouldn't really
> exist in the first place.

How about a feature release once a year, on a schedule we choose as best
for us.  For instance, aim for end of May, with a bugfix release and
alpha of the next version mid to late Sept after summer vacations.
Encourage linux distributions to include the new version in their fall
and spring releases.

Features that miss a beta1 deadline would then be available to early
adopters 4 months later.  In general, I think alpha releases have
usually been about as good as bugfix releases.  High test coverage and
green buildbots help. With more frequent releases, there should be fewer
major new features and perhaps fewer alpha and beta releases needed.

--
Terry Jan Reedy