[Python-Dev] Usability of the limited API

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu May 28 16:28:39 CEST 2015

On 29 May 2015 at 00:11, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was hoping to be able to suggest as an application bundling option
> that people could write a trivial wrapper script in C to fire up a
> Python script, and bundle that along with its dependencies and the
> embeddable Python distribution. Looks like that's doable, but only
> using the full API, which makes upgrading the bundled Python
> interpreter a bit messier. Ah, well, no huge loss :-(
>
> But after this experiment, I do wonder - is the limited API really a
> viable option for embedders?

I personally suspect the requirement to preserve source compatibility
with Python 2 has meant that the limited ABI hasn't been exercised
very well to date.

As far as the high level embedding API goes, I expect it's just an
oversight that it's missing from the stable ABI. There are some that
*can't* be exposed (the ones that rely on FILE pointers), but the
others should be OK.

Cheers,
Nick.