[Python-Dev] Keeping competitive with Go (was Re: Computed Goto dispatch for Python 2)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu May 28 19:15:11 CEST 2015

On 28 May 2015 at 17:47, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> Single-file binaries are indeed important. (Though in most cases they don't
> have to be totally stand-alone -- they can depend on a system python and its
> stdlib. At least in typical datacenter setups.) Have people looked at PEX (a
> format developed by Twitter) or Pants (which seems to be an open-source tool
> that can build PEX files)?

There appear to be problems with pex on Windows. I've reported a
couple of bugs, which appear to have been fixed (although I don't know
the timeframe, I lost interest before a fix was implemented). But
there are new ones I just found on a quick test.

I'd like pex to work, it looks like a nice tool. But I don't want to
be their Windows support resource, and it seems like they may not
currently have anyone else :-)

Paul

(I'll probably go and lie down now and stop banging the cross-platform
drum for a while :-))