[Python-Dev] Computed Goto dispatch for Python 2

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu May 28 20:08:53 CEST 2015

On 5/28/2015 10:55 AM, Steve Dower wrote:

> And it would look like a 20MB+ file just for a simple 1KB Python
> script...
>
> For Windows at least, I'd prefer to have some app-style installer
> generation (e.g. http://pynsist.readthedocs.org/en/latest/) which,
> combined with the embeddable Python distro (new for 3.5.0b1 in case
> anyone missed it), can simply extract everything into an install
> directory and run it from there. None of the items on the list above
> are needed for or would help with this.

What I wish, of course, is that Windows just came with Python3, the way
that DOS came with BASIC, so people could publish and trade Python
programs the way we once did with BASIC programs.  Then a simple 1KB
Python script would just take an extra 1KB on disk.  To me, the removal
of a simple, builtin programming language for everyone was the biggest
Windows mistake.

Failing that, maybe PSF & edu-sig could somehow encourage universities
that requires students to have a computer to recommend or even require
that Python be loaded so students could at least assume that others
students have Python already loaded.  Python is the BASIC of the 21 century.

Somehow, trying to make it easier to have 50 duplicate copies of Python
on a system seems the wrong direction to go.

--
Terry Jan Reedy