[Python-Dev] Single-file Python executables

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Thu May 28 20:07:17 CEST 2015

On 05/28/2015 11:52 AM, Paul Moore wrote:
[snip]
> Nevertheless, I would like to understand how Unix can manage to have a
> Python 3.4.3 binary at 4kb. Does that *really* have no external
> dependencies (other than the C library)? Are we really comparing like
> with like here?

I don't know what Donald was looking at, but I'm not seeing anything
close to that 4k figure here. (Maybe he's on OS X, where framework
builds have a "stub" executable that just execs the real one?)

On my Ubuntu Trusty system, the system Python 3.4 executable is 3.9M,
and the one I compiled myself from source, without any special options,
is almost 12M. (Not really sure what accounts for that difference -
Ubuntu system Python uses shared libraries for more stuff?)

Carl