[Python-Dev] time-based releases (was Re: Preserving the definition order of class namespaces.)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri May 29 08:40:53 CEST 2015

On 29 May 2015 9:17 am, "Antoine Pitrou" <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 May 2015 08:48:11 +1000
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> > After all, the real difference between the alphas and the final releases
> > isn't about anything *we* do, it's about the testing *other people* do
that
> > picks up gaps in our test coverage. A gated trunk makes it more feasible
> > for other projects to do continuous integration against it.
>
> Long ago (before I became a core developer) we had "community
> buildbots" for that. They didn't receive any attention or maintenance
> from third-party projects.

Right, but it's hard to integrate against trunk when trunk itself may be
broken. If we had a way of publishing "known good" commit hashes that
passed the test suite on all the stable buildbots, that could potentially
provide a basis for integration testing without needing to switch to merge
gating first.

Do we know if BuildBot offers an interface for that?

Cheers,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com