[Python-Dev] Single-file Python executables (was: Computed Goto dispatch for Python 2)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat May 30 00:28:15 CEST 2015

On 29 May 2015 at 23:15, Glenn Linderman <v+python at g.nevcal.com> wrote:
> I don't presently see any C:\Python34\DLLs or C:\Python34 on my path, but I
> didn't ask the installer to put it there either. So I'm guessing your option
> 1 assumes asking the Python installer to put it there? Not "automatically"
> but "on request", I think?
>
> In my c:\Python34\DLLs, I don't see a python34.dll, only python3.dll... so
> I'm somewhat unclear on your simplified explanation.

I'm definitely batting zero today :-(

OK, let's try to be clear. I typically do "all users" installs. The
"for me only" install is slightly different, and the new install for
3.5 may be different again. But what I see is:

1. C:\Python34\DLLs containins python3.dll, which is *never* on PATH
(and doesn't need to be for normal use). Anything that wants to use
python3.dll needs that directory manually adding to PATH.
2. python34.dll is in C:\Windows\System32. This is always available to
all processes, as it's in the Windows system directory.

If you say "add Python to my PATH" you get C:\Python34 added to PATH.
For a user install, I believe python34.dll may be in there rather than
in C:\Windows\system32, so technically, for an app that uses
python34.dll to work, you need *either* an admin install, *or* to have
done "add Python to PATH".

I hope that made sense. Sorry for my garbled previous version.

Paul