[Python-Dev] 2.7 is here until 2020, please don't call it a waste.

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat May 30 01:35:38 CEST 2015

On 30 May 2015 09:21, "Barry Warsaw" <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On May 29, 2015, at 04:04 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
> >There are a fair number of people on this thread whose employer pays
them to
> >work on Python.
>
> My guess is that as Python 2.7 gets longer in the tooth, and it becomes
harder
> to motivate volunteers to shepherd contributed patches into Python 2,
folks
> getting paid by employers who need Python 2 to continue to be maintained,
will
> step up and go through the mentorship process so that they can more
directly
> apply such patches.  I.e. they can start to take over some of the active
> maintenance of the Python 2.7 branch.

Yep, I'm hoping to be able to do exactly that for Red Hat folks so we can
minimise our need to carry 2.7 patches downstream without imposing
additional work on volunteers upstream.

We have a few core committers working here now (me, Kushal, Christian,
Victor), but we're not the folks specifically working on Python 2.7
maintenance and support.

This means that while I don't believe "I'm getting paid to support Python
2.7" should be a free ride to commit access, I *do* think it's a factor we
ought to take into account.

Cheers,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com