[Python-Dev] 2.7 is here until 2020, please don't call it a waste.

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat May 30 12:35:10 CEST 2015

On Sat, 30 May 2015 10:34:15 +1000
> On 30 May 2015 09:57, "Antoine Pitrou" <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 30 May 2015 01:49:10 +0200
> > Christian Heimes <christian at python.org> wrote:
> > > For performance patches we have to consider our responsibility for the
> > > environment. Every improvement means more speed and less power
> > > consumption. Python runs of hundreds of thousands of machines in the
> > > cloud. Python 2.7 will be used for at least half a decade, probably
> > > longer. Servers can be replaced with faster machines later and less
> > > fossil fuel must be burned to produce power.
> >
> > Please keep your ideology out of this.
>
> I'm a qualified engineer (in computer systems engineering), so caring about
> environmental sustainability is part of my professional ethical standards,
> not just a matter of personal preference: http://www.wfeo.org/ethics/

There is no reason to assume that a smallish performance improvement in
a single Python 2.7 release will make any difference in "environmental
sustainability" of the world's computing infrastructure, while the
problem is measured in orders of magnitude.  The onus is on to you to
prove the contrary.  Otherwise, bringing it up is mere ideology.

Regards

Antoine.