[Python-Dev] 2.7 is here until 2020, please don't call it a waste.

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun May 31 00:26:42 CEST 2015

On 31 May 2015 04:20, "Ludovic Gasc" <gmludo at gmail.com> wrote:

> For now, I'm following the mailing-lists from a spy-glass: I don't read
most of the e-mails.
> However, this thread seems to be "infected": I can smell from here your
emotions behind your words.

> Why to push a lot of emotions inside a technical discussion ?
> What's the nerves have been hit with this discussion ?

I think you answered your own question fairly well - there's a
longstanding, but rarely articulated, culture clash between the folks that
are primarily interested in the innovators and early adopters side of
things, and those of us that are most interested in bridging the gap to the
early majority, late majority and laggards.

Add in the perfectly reasonable wariness a lot of folks have regarding the
potential for commercial interests to unfairly exploit open source
contributors without an adequate return contribution of development effort,
gratis software, gratis services, or interesting employment opportunities,
and you're going to see the occasional flare-ups as we find those rough
edges where differences in motivation & background lead to differences of
opinion & behaviour.

Cheers,
Nick.