[Python-Dev] Python 3 migration status update across some key subcommunities (was Re: 2.7 is here until 2020, please don't call it a waste.)

Carol Willing willingc at willingconsulting.com
Sun May 31 20:26:28 CEST 2015

On 5/31/15 8:39 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> What I would really like to see is a Python 3 (and if you really need
> Python 2, here's how it differs) version of Python: Essential
> Reference.
Agreed.  If anyone has Python 3 books, talks, or resources that they
find helpful and of high quality, please send me an email and I will
happily curate a cheatsheet, document, or website with the results. For
example, Harry Percival's TDD book and tutorials on PyVideo.org are well
done with a Python 3 focus.

If you have other favorite Python 2 books that you wish were
revised/rewritten to have a Python 3 focus, please email me that as well.
> I agree, but the cargo cult thing is big for people coming to Python
> because somebody told them it's a good way to do something practical.
For our user group attendees (whether novice or experienced, teens or
post-docs), "practical and simple" trumps "shiny and complex". Search
gives them a mountain of resources. Yet, these users are looking for
guidance on a reasonable approach to do the practical things that
interest them. These creators, innovators, and experimenters care less
about programming language or version than they do about building their
ideas. Fortunately, the Python language, especially when combined with
the Python community and its outreach, enables building these
ideas...when we are not tripping all over our own perspectives of which
version "should" suit the use case. Practically, use whichever version
is best suited to the use case.

Warmly,
Carol

P.S. Whether you develop for version 2, version 3, or both, thank you
for doing so :-)
--
*Carol Willing*
Developer | Willing Consulting