[Python-Dev] Python 3.5.1 plans

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Sun Nov 1 09:21:12 EST 2015

In a message of Sun, 01 Nov 2015 05:52:40 -0800, Steve Dower writes:
>The installer and the contained contents are currently tied together, making it fairly difficult to mix and match versions.
>
>When 3.5.1 happens is up to Larry, but I'm feeling like the initial rush of bug reports has died down and we should be considering the remaining open ones in the context of blocking that release. (The XP notification, as well as the more confusing Vista and Win7 w/o service packs notifications, have been added already. Python-list will probably keep asking though, just in case it can get something for free...)
>
>Cheers,
>Steve

Webmaster here.
The initial rush of bug reports I see has not gone down.  It's been in
steady increase.  This is not a data-blip due to last weekend's whole
outage of mail.python.org.

Getting the 'XP -- you are out of luck' message

and the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0-dll is Microsofts Universal
CRT.  You don't have one.  You need to install it. Get it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48234

message out of a failed install -- as soon as possible -- would
have a serious positive impact around here.

Most of the replies I make are of that sort.  I have 2 templates to
make it quick to do, but still, be nice if I could save my time for
others.  And I don't report the number of people I talk to with this
problem to the bug tracker.  This could possibly have mislead you.

It is not like the:
The 3.5 Windows installer fails with "The TARGETDIR variable must be provided when invoking this installer" bug
https://bugs.python.org/issue25144

where I report when I hear about them if I think there is a good chance
that having me report it will cause the person who submitted the bug
to me to go track it -- because maybe asking him or her to give you