[Python-Dev] Benchmark results across all major Python implementations

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Nov 16 15:51:35 EST 2015

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 at 12:24 Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Brett
>
> Any thoughts on improving the benchmark set (I think all of
> {cpython,pypy,pyston} introduced new benchmarks to the set).

We should probably start a mailing list and finally hash out a common set
of benchmarks that we all agree are reasonable for measuring performance. I
think we all generally agree that high-level benchmarks are good and
micro-benchmarks aren't that important for cross-implementation comparisons
(obviously they have a usefulness when trying to work on a specific feature
set, but that should be considered specific to an implementation and not to
some globally accepted set of benchmarks). So we should identify benchmarks
which somewhat represent real world workloads and try to have a balanced
representation that doesn't lean one way or another (e.g., not all string
manipulation or scientific computing, but both should obviously be
represented).

> "speed.python.org" becoming a thing is generally stopped on "noone
> cares enough to set it up".

Oh, I know. I didn't say this could be considered wishful thinking since I
know I have enough on my plate to prevent me from making it happen.

-Brett