[Python-Dev] Benchmark results across all major Python implementations

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Nov 18 02:11:59 EST 2015

Stewart, David C writes:

 > Note: PGO is not the default way to build Python because it is
 > relatively slow to compile it that way. (I think it should be the
 > default).

+1

Slow-build-fast-run should be the default if you're sure the
optimization works.  Only developers are likely to run a given build
few enough times to save seconds, and most people are like to turn to
some other task as soon as they type "make".

It's a slightly different use case, but in XEmacs we have a
--quick-build configure option which means that the "usual targets"
don't rebuild a bunch of auxiliary targets (mostly documentation and
development infrastructure such as xref caches).  Never heard a
complaint about that either from the developers (who learned to use
--quick-build easily enough) or the beta testers (who do remark on
long build times, but only once a week or so for most of them).