[Python-Dev] Request for pronouncement on PEP 493 (HTTPS verification backport guidance)

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 14:38:36 EST 2015

Hi all,

While I appreciate the vote of confidence from everyone, I'm not interested
in being the BDFL-delegate for this. I don't think it's a good idea, and
I'm not willing to put further time into.

If he's interested, Donald Stufft would make a good choice for delegate.

Really do appreciate everyone's confidence.

Cheers,
Alex

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Christian Heimes <christian at python.org>
wrote:

> On 2015-11-17 01:00, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > Hm, making Christian the BDFL-delegate would mean two out of three
> > authors *and* the BDFL-delegate all working for Red Hat, which clearly
> > has a stake (and IIUC has already committed to this approach ahead of
> > PEP approval). SO then it would look like this is just rubber-stamping
> > Red Hat's internal decision process (if it's a process -- sounds more
> > like an accident :-).
> >
> > So, Alex, do you want to approve this PEP?
>
> I haven't read this thread until now. Independently from your objection
> I have raised the same concern with Nick today. I'd be willing to BDFL
> the PEP but I'd rather have somebody outside of Red Hat. Alex is a great
> choice.
>

> In the same mail I sent Nick a quick review of the latest PEP version in
> private.
>

> 1) The example implementation of the function doesn't check the
> sys.flags.ignore_environment. Internally CPython has specialized getenv
> function that ignores env vars with PYTHON prefix when the flag is set.
> PYTHON* env vars aren't removed from os.environ. Modules have to check
> the flag.
>

> 2) The PEP is rather Linux-centric. What's the recommended path to the
> config file on other platforms like BDS (/usr/local/etc/ is preferred
> for additional dependencies on FreeBSD), OSX and Windows?
>

> 3) What's the interaction between the location of the config file and
> virtual envs? Would it make sense to search for the file in a venv's
> etc/ first and then dispatch to global /etc/? That way venvs can
> influence the setting, too.
>

> 4) It makes sense to make the cert-verification.cfg file future-proof
> and reserve it for other cert-related configuration in the future. For
> example it could be used to define new contexts, set protocols, ciphers
> or hashes for cert pinning. It should be enough to say that CPython
> reserves the right to add more sections and keys later.
>

> 5) I'm not particular fond of the section name [https]. For one It is
> ambiguous because it doesn't distinguish between server certs and client
> certs. It's also not correct. The default context is used for other
> protocols like imap, smtp etc. over TLS.
>
> Christian

GPG Key fingerprint: 125F 5C67 DFE9 4084