[Python-Dev] under what circumstances can python still exhibit "high water mark" memory usage?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Oct 14 09:11:46 EDT 2015

Hi All,

I'm having trouble with some python processes that are using 3GB+ of
memory but when I inspect them with either heapy or meliae, injected via
pyrasite, those tools only report total memory usage to be 119Mb.

This feels like the old "python high water mark" problem, but I thought
that was fixed in 2.6/3.0?
Under what circumstances can a Python process still exhibit high memory
usage that tools like heapy don't know about?

cheers,

Chris

PS: Full details here of libraries being used and versions here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/celery-users/SsTRZ7-mDMI

This post feels related and seems to suggest the high water mark problem
is still there:

http://chase-seibert.github.io/blog/2013/08/03/diagnosing-memory-leaks-python.html