[Python-Dev] Intended Usage of collections.abc for Custom Collections

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Oct 28 13:16:08 EDT 2015

On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 at 08:47 <jab at math.brown.edu> wrote:

> Dear Python-Dev,
>
> I am the author of bidict, a bidirectional map implementation for Python.
> A user recently filed a bug that bidict should be a subclass of dict, so
> that isinstance(mybidict, dict) would return True. I replied that the user
> should instead use isinstance(mybidict, collections.abc.Mapping), which
> does already return True, and is more polymorphic to boot.

I would argue that chances are they don't need isinstance() in either case.
:)

> But before I put the issue to bed, I want to make sure I'm correctly
> understanding the intended usage of collections.abc, as well as any
> relevant interfaces I'm not currently using (collections.UserDict?
> __subclasshook__?), since the documentation leaves me with some doubt.
> Could any collections experts on this list please confirm whether bidict is
> implemented as the language intends it should be?

ABCs are meant to make sure you implement key methods for an
interface/protocol. So in the case of collections.abc.Mapping, it's to make
sure you implement __getitem__. In exchange for subclassing the ABC you
also gain some methods for free like get(). So you subclass an ABC because
you want your object to be acceptable in any code that expects an object
that implements that interface/protocol and you want the help ABCs provide
in making sure you don't accidentally miss some key method.

Subclassing a concrete implementation of the Mapping ABC -- which is what
dict is -- should be done if it is beneficial to you, but not simply to
satisfy an isinstance() check. I think the ABC registration is the right
thing to do and the user requesting the dict subclass should actually be
doing what you suggested and testing for the interface/protocol and not the
concrete implementation.

And if you want another way to hit this point home, with type hints people
should only be expecting abstract types like typing.Mapping as input:
https://docs.python.org/3/library/typing.html#typing.Mapping . Restricting
yourself to only a dict locks out other completely viable types that
implement the mapping interface/protocol. Much like working with data, you
should be as flexible as possible on your inputs (e.g., specifying
typing.Mapping as the parameter type), but as strict as possible on the
return type (.e.g, specifying dict/typing.Dict as the return type).

I honestly would want to know why the user cares about an isinstance()
check to begin with since they might want to go with a try/except when
using the object how they want it to be and erroring out if they get passed
an object that doesn't quack like a dict thanks to duck typing.

-Brett