[Python-Dev] If you shadow a module in the standard library that IDLE depends on, bad things happen

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Oct 29 13:36:00 EDT 2015

On October 29, 2015 at 1:32:31 PM, Nathaniel Smith (njs at pobox.com) wrote:
> > (I know saying that last part out loud will probably just cause
> someone to pop out of the woodwork and explain how shadowing the
> sys module is a great idea and they do it all the time or whatever,
> but I guess I'll take that risk :-).)

How about someone saying that I wish the standard library was more easily shadow-able? ;) In 2.x it’s easy to do it by accident because of the implicit relative imports which is of course, crummy. I think it’d be nice if a package could override the standard library in a sane way though. Like how pdb++ does.

This is already possible if you install stuff as .eggs and the world hasn’t burned down, it’s just not easily possible if you don’t install as eggs.