[Python-Dev] PEP 498: Naming

Mike Miller python-ideas at mgmiller.net
Tue Sep 8 08:37:33 CEST 2015

Nice work!

So we're on the eve of pronouncement and though I've read several bring up the
slightly-unfortunate naming of f-strings in the past, I've not seen recent
discussion on the subject.  While the 498 implementation looks best, it still
could be tweaked on the surface to use one of the other names or letters that
had come up.  The original idea was to use f'' because it was thought that the
feature would be locked to str.format, but that is no longer as true as it was
originally.

To my knowledge there was i for interpolation, t for template, and e for
expression suggested.  Any better ideas?

It's a good time to have this bikeshed discussion, because if the PEP is
accepted news will get out and the name will be set in cement.  Previous drafts
have made it out to hacker news and reddit, as the feature is exciting, so
acceptance should as well.

-Mike