[Python-Dev] Choosing an official stance towards module deprecation in Python 3

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Tue Sep 8 19:35:44 CEST 2015

On September 8, 2015 at 1:29:58 PM, Brett Cannon (bcannon at gmail.com) wrote:

> That is one possibility, but I notice that django.contrib.comments is still
> getting updated. For deprecated modules they probably won't even get
> bugfixes anymore so I wouldn't want to give the wrong impression the
> modules are still being maintained. Plus we would have to figure out who is
> in charge of the actual project on PyPI since there isn't a concept of
> group ownership.

I don't really much care which way it is done, I was just throwing it out there
as a possibility. Though I think the first problem is solvable by clear
documentation. Actually in Django's case I think it was "Ok we've removed it,
if somebody wants to step up and maintain it they can, otherwise it's going to
wither and die on it's own", but my memory might be faulty. The second problem
is easier, you can add multiple people to a project, and "Organization/Group"
accounts will be something that gets implemented in Warehouse.