[Python-Dev] [RELEASED] Python 3.5.0rc4 is now available!

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Wed Sep 9 19:50:33 CEST 2015

On 09Sep2015 0642, Larry Hastings wrote:
> On behalf of the Python development community and the Python 3.5 release
> team, I'm surprised to announce the availability of Python 3.5.0rc4,
> also known as Python 3.5.0 Release Candidate 4.
>
> Python 3.5.0 Release Candidate 3 was only released about a day ago.
> However: during testing, a major regression was discovered, reported on
> the issue tracker as #25027:
>
>     http://bugs.python.org/issue25027
>
> Python 3.5 includes some big changes on how Python is built on Windows.
> One of those changes resulted in Python processes on Windows exceeding
> the maximum number of loadable shared libraries.  As a result Windows
> builds of Python could no longer run major Python software stacks like
> Pandas and Jupyter. Fixing this required non-trivial last-minute changes
> to the Windows build--and those changes need testing.  We therefore
> elected to insert an extra release candidate before the final release,
> to get these changes into your hands as soon as possible, so that
> Windows users could test these changes.

For more background and info about the change on Windows, I've written a
follow-up post to my previous one.

http://stevedower.id.au/blog/building-for-python-3-5-part-two/

The short version is that we now include a shared dependency in the
installer (vcruntime140.dll), and extensions built with future versions
of the compiler but targeting Python 3.5 will include their own private
copy of this dependency (which will be named vcruntime1#0.dll where # != 4).

Cheers,
Steve