[Python-Dev] PEP 495 Was: PEP 498: Literal String Interpolation is ready for pronouncement

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Sat Sep 12 05:52:29 CEST 2015

MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> writes:
> What would happen if it's decided to stay on DST and then, later on, to
> reintroduce DST?
>
> Or what would happen in the case of "British Double Summer Time" (go
> forward twice in the spring and backward twice in the autumn)?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Summer_Time

"backward twice" could theoretically do it, if you literally went back
an hour, waited an hour (or any nonzero amount less than two hours), and
went back an hour again, rather than just going back two hours. I don't
know if any real-life authorities have ever done such a thing; that's
why I asked.

You could also have them if you had a "timezone" representing the
real-time local time of someone who traveled across timezone boundaries
multiple times in close succession, rather than the time of a
geographical place.