[Python-Dev] PEP: Collecting information about git

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Sep 12 20:02:15 CEST 2015

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 9:54 AM, Oleg Broytman <phd at phdru.name> wrote:
> The plan is to extend the PEP in the future collecting information
> about equivalence of Mercurial and git scenarios to help migrating
> Python development from Mercurial to git.

I couldn't find any previous discussion about this, but I figure I
should mention:

If the motivation here is to get away from the often-awful bitbucket
to the friendlier and more-popular Github, then it might be useful to
know that hg-git works beautifully with Github.  I have over a dozen
open source projects on Github that I manage entirely using hg command
lines without having yet touched git at all.  Even the forks and pull
requests I've done of others' projects on Github worked just fine, so
long as I remember to use hg bookmarks instead of hg branches.

It's possible there are things you can't do with Mercurial on Github,
but I haven't encountered one thus far.