[Python-Dev] python windows installation inconsistent use of registry keys

Barry Scott barry at barrys-emacs.org
Tue Sep 15 19:39:31 CEST 2015

I am used to looking in HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\%(py_maj)d.%(py_min)d\InstallPath
to find out where python is installed so that my installation kit can add itself to site-packages.

I just found that the registry key used for 32 bit python 3.5 on windows changed to be '3.5-32',
which I can change my installer to cope with.

However the key for the 64bit install is ‘3.5’ but not '3.5-64'.

Why was this changed and why not consistently between 32 and 64 bit versions?

Barry
PyCXX, PySVN maintainer