[Python-Dev] PEP: Collecting information about git

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Tue Sep 15 20:47:44 CEST 2015

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 20:32:33 +0200, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
> On 09/15/2015 08:22 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > For one, because *I* have been a (moderate) advocate for switching to git and
> > GitHub.
>
> Fair enough. Still strange to read this PEP with the explicit caveat of
> "The author of the PEP doesn't currently plan to write a Process PEP on
> migration Python development from Mercurial to git."

I understood this to mean he's providing the info that would be needed
for writing a process PEP, but as an informational PEP because there's
no other place it fits better and Guido would like to have it on record,
but isn't himself planning to propose a switch *at the moment*, thus
cutting off panic from the community that there was an immanent proposal
to switch.

--David