[Python-Dev] PEP: Collecting information about git

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Sep 16 16:13:44 CEST 2015

On Sep 16, 2015, at 09:34 AM, R. David Murray wrote:

>My experience with DVCS started with bazaar, moved on to hg for the
>CPython project, and finally git.  Through all of that I did not
>understand the DAG, and had trouble wrapping my mind around what was
>going on, despite being able to get things done.  I read a bunch of
>documentation about all three systems, but it wasn't until I watched
>another instructor teach the git DAG at a Software Carpentry workshop
>that it all clicked.  Partially, I had been continually confused by the
>concept of a "branch", since git uses that term differently than CVS,
>svn, hg, or bazaar.  But once I understood it, suddenly everything
>became clear.

The O'Reilly book on Git by Loeliger & McCullough really crystallized the git
model for me.  I have the 2nd edition from 2012.  I struggled quite a bit with
the dvcs model when I first started using bzr *many* years ago now, and even
though I was comfortable with it by the time I mostly switched to git, it
wasn't an entirely smooth transition.  This book had some of the best
descriptions and diagrams about what was going on, and I still find that it's
a great first-stop when trying to do something out of the ordinary with git.
Call me old skool but looking up something in the index can be faster than
using da googles. :)

Cheers,
-Barry