[Python-Dev] PEP: Collecting information about git

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Wed Sep 16 18:17:38 CEST 2015

On Sep 16 2015, "R. David Murray" <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
> The DAG plus git branches-as-labels *fits in my head* in a way that the
> DAG plus named-branches-and-other-things does not.

Hmm, that's odd. As far as I know, the difference between the hg and git
DAG model can be summarized like this:

 * In git, leaves of the DAG must be assigned a name. If they don't have
   a name, they will be garbage collected. If they have a name, they are
   called a branch.

 * In hg, leaves of the DAG persist. If you want to remove them, you
   have to do so explicitly (hg strip), if you want them to have a name,
   you must do so explicitly (hg bookmark). A node of the DAG with a
   name is called a bookmark.

 * hg named branches have no equivalent in git.

Does that help?

Best,
-Nikolaus