[Python-Dev] PEP: Collecting information about git

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Sep 17 21:06:37 CEST 2015

On 9/17/2015 3:09 AM, Tim Golden wrote:
> On 17/09/2015 02:59, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> On 9/16/2015 5:20 AM, Oleg Broytman wrote:

>>>      Add here documentation, speed, availability of extensions and
>>> 3rd-party tools, hosting options (both locally installable and web
>>> services).
>>
>> For me, the killer 3rd party tool in favor of hg is TortoiseHg, which I
>> use on Windows. As far as I know (I did check a bit), there is no
>> equivalent for git on Windows.  For me, the evaluation should be between
>> hg+TortoiseHG versus git+???.

TortoiseHG includes the Workbench program, which to me is the superstar
of the package and what I use daily for everything except a batch
program to pull and update the multiple repositories (currently 3.6 and
3.5, 3.4, and 2.7 shares).  Screenshot here
https://tortoisehg.readthedocs.org/en/latest/workbench.html

The main dag + (changeset + working directory) pane can have a tab for
each branch repository. A sub-pane for the selected changeset or working
directory lists the files changed. A sub-sub-pane shows a diff for the
selected file.  So it is easy to check that all branch repositories are
ready for a commit+merge. Once ready, committing to 2.7 and 3.4, merging
to 3.5 and 3.6, and pushing takes less than a minute, thereby minimizing
the change of losing a push race.

> There certainly is (and with the obvious name!):
>
> https://tortoisegit.org/

This works off of right-click context menus, as tortoisesvn did and
tortoisehg can, but I looked at the screenshots and there is no
workbench program.  So, for me, not equivalent at all.

--
Terry Jan Reedy