[Python-Dev] PEP 495 (Local Time Disambiguation) is ready for pronouncement

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 05:49:22 CEST 2015

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 8:49 PM, Alexander Belopolsky <
alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:

> PEP 495 [1] is a deliberately minimalistic proposal to remove an
> ambiguity in representing some local times as datetime.datetime
> objects.

A major issue has come up since my announcement above.  Tim Peters have
noticed that PEP 495 would violate the "hash invariant" unless the fold
attribute is accounted for in inter-zone comparisons.
See [2] for details.  This issue has been resolved by modifying the
definition [3] of the "==" operator for aware datetimes with post-PEP
tzinfo.  Note that no program will be affected by this change unless it
uses a post-PEP tzinfo implementation.

I made some smaller changes [4] to the PEP as well and it should finally be
ready for pronouncement.

[1]: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0495
[2]:
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/datetime-sig/2015-September/000625.html