[Python-Dev] VS 2010 compiler

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 23:01:49 CEST 2015

On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 17:20 Steve Dower <steve.dower at python.org> wrote:

On 29Sep2015 0820, Chris Barker wrote:
> OK -- I'm going to get off my soap box now -- time to actually suggest
> doc patches....

Just bear in mind that you're suggesting patches for Python 3.3 and 3.4,
which means that 3.4.4 is the only real chance to get them onto people's
machines. http://docs.python.org/ already points to the 3.5 docs by
default, which means only people who explicitly look for the earlier
versions will see the changes.

You don't really have a huge audience, so I wouldn't invest large
amounts of time in the official docs. A couple of well-publicised blog
posts will reach more people.

Maybe but I think it would be good to have some documentation somewhere
(perhaps under the pypa banner) that can advise extension module authors
who want to provide Windows binaries for multiple CPython versions. It's
not obvious how to go about setting things up to make python.org compatible
binaries for say Python 2.7 and 3.2-3.5. Before 3.5 the simplest solution
was to use MinGW but that doesn't work for 3.5 (hence numpy are currently
uploading rcs without 3.5 binaries for Windows).

Just an explanation of what it takes in terms of MS compilers and which
free as in beer ones are available where would be helpful which could go in
a blog post as you say. IMO It would be more helpful though if it were a
continuously improved document that will be updated as new CPython releases
come out and the availability of MS compilers changes.

--
Oscar