[Python-Dev] Py_SETREF vs. Py_XSETREF

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sun Apr 3 10:00:39 EDT 2016

Hi,

On 3 April 2016 at 15:29, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
>> Should we rename Py_SETREF to Py_XSETREF and introduce new Py_SETREF
>> that uses Py_DECREF?
>
> Checking for NULL is convenient (and safer), but, on the other hand, it
> _would_ be consistent with the others.

My 2 cents would be to call the new macro Py_XSETREF for consistency,
at least, whether you decide to go with two macros or not.  Otherwise
it's kind of obvious that if you add Py_SETREF that checks for nulls,
in 2 or 3 releases people will really want a "fast" variant anyway,
and there will be no consistent name for that.

A bientôt,

Armin.