[Python-Dev] Defining a path protocol (was: When should pathlib stop being provisional?)

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Apr 6 13:26:36 EDT 2016

WIth Ethan volunteering to do the work to help make a path protocol a thing
-- and I'm willing to help along with propagating this through the stdlib
where I think Serhiy might be interested in helping as well -- and a
seeming consensus this is a good idea, it seems like this proposal has a
chance of actually coming to fruition.

Now we need clear details. :) Some open questions are:

   1. Name: __path__, __fspath__, or something else?
   2. Method or attribute? (changes what kind of one-liner you might use in
   libraries, but I think historically all protocols have been methods and the
   serialized string representation might be costly to build)
   3. Built-in? (name is dependent on #1 if we add one)
   4. Add the method/attribute to str? (I assume so, much like __index__()
   is on int, but I have not seen it explicitly stated so I would rather
   clarify it)
   5. Expand the C API to have something like PyObject_Path()?

Some people have asked for the pathlib PEP to have a more flushed out
reasoning as to why pathlib doesn't inherit from str. If Antoine doesn't
want to do it I can try to instil my blog post into a more succinct
paragraph or two and update the PEP myself.

Is this going to require a PEP or if we can agree on the points here are we
just going to do it? If we think it requires a PEP I'm willing to write it,
but I obviously have no issue if we skip that step either. :)

Oh, and we should resolve this before the next release of Python 3.4, 3.5,
or 3.6 so that pathlib can be updated in those releases.

-Brett