[Python-Dev] Defining a path protocol

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Thu Apr 7 02:34:27 EDT 2016

On 04/06/2016 10:26 AM, Brett Cannon wrote:

>  2. Method or attribute? (changes what kind of one-liner you might use
>     in libraries, but I think historically all protocols have been
>     methods and the serialized string representation might be costly to
>     build)

Having thought about this some more, it seems we have enough __dunder__
attributes that are plain strings that having this one also be a plain
string should not be a problem:

- __name__
- __module__
- __file__

Since Paths are immutable the __os_path__ attribute isn't going to
change and doesn't need to be a method.

--
~Ethan~