[Python-Dev] Challenge: Please break this! (a.k.a restricted mode revisited)

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 08:43:19 EDT 2016

Please don't loose time trying yet another sandbox inside CPython. It's
just a waste of time. It's broken by design.

Please read my email about my attempt (pysandbox):
https://lwn.net/Articles/574323/

And the LWN article:
https://lwn.net/Articles/574215/

There are a lot of safe ways to run CPython inside a sandbox (and not rhe
opposite).

I started as you, add more and more things to a blacklist, but it doesn't
work.

See pysandbox test suite for a lot of ways to escape a sandbox. CPython has
a list of know code to crash CPython (I don't recall the dieectory in
sources), even with the latest version of CPython.

Victor