[Python-Dev] Maybe, just maybe, pathlib doesn't belong.

Alexander Walters tritium-list at sdamon.com
Mon Apr 11 16:33:15 EDT 2016

In reviewing the ongoing arguments about how to make pathlib better,
there have been circular arguments about if it is even broken, if it
should support bytes, if there should be a path protocol that all
functions that touch the filesystem should use, if that protocol should
support bytes, how that protocol should be open or closed to allow third
party modules to act as paths, etc., etc.

If there is headway being made, I do not see it.

I don't think we can come to an agreement that will make anyone happy,
or have any effect on the adoption of the pathlib module in the standard
library.  Maybe, just maybe, since there is an ecosystem of third party
modules already doing this job (and arguably doing it much better than
pathlib, and for more supported versions of python than any future
version of pathlib will), it should be dropped from the standard library
and left on pypi as a third party module.