[Python-Dev] Summary of the pathlib discussion (Re: Maybe, just maybe, pathlib doesn't belong.)

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Apr 11 17:55:55 EDT 2016

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 at 14:42 Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> Alexander Walters <tritium-list at sdamon.com> writes:
>
> > That is great news.  I just couldn't see it myself in the threads
>
> Agreed. A summary posting, from someone who has a good handle on the
> issue and outcome, would be very helpful.

   - Guido has put Chris Angelico and myself in charge of drafting a
   proposal once we are done discussing things as a PEP (probably an amendment
   to the pathlib PEP where I will also explain why we are still not
   subclassing str)
   - Ethan Furman has volunteered to help out with code work (as have I)
   - Name bikeshedding never seems to end, but there seems to be coalescing
   around __fspath__ or __fspathname__ (I think, although __fspath__ seems to
   be what everyone has been typing today; I'm trying to stay out of it so as
   to not influence too much)
   - We are only discussing two things still (all going on in the threads
   relating to return values, arguments, types, etc. in their titles)...
      - Should path.__fspath__() be allowed to return bytes on top of
      strings? (we seem to have found an amicable way to allow
os.fspath() to let
      a bytes argument pass through just like str in an explicit fashion)
      - Should we explicitly type check in os.fspath() what
      path.__fspath__() returns or just let it fall through and hope people do
      the right thing?

That's pretty much it unless Chris or Ethan disagree. So I think pathlib is
far from being as dead as a parrot. ;)