[Python-Dev] pathlib - current status of discussions

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon Apr 11 18:38:56 EDT 2016

> On Apr 11, 2016, at 5:58 PM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
>
> name:
> ----
>
> We are down to two choices:
>
> - __fspath__, or
> - __fspathname__
>
> The final choice I suspect will be affected by the choice to allow (or not) bytes.

+1 on __fspath__, -0 on __fspathname__

> add a Path ABC:
>
> undecided

I think it makes sense to add it, but maybe only in 3.6? Path accepting code could be updated to do something like `isinstance(obj, (bytes, str, PathMeta))` which seems like a net win to me.

> Sticking points:
>
> Do we allow bytes to be returned from os.fspath()?  If yes, then do we allow bytes from __fspath__()?

I think yes and yes, it seems like making it needlessly harder to deal with a bytes path in the scenarios that you’re actually dealing with them is the kind of change that 3.0 made that ended up getting rolled back where it could.

Donald Stufft